December 6, 2013

Koyya Pazham Puli Kuzhambu / Guava in Tamarind Gravy

How to make Koyya Pazham Puli Kuzhambu


          Guavas are eaten differently in different cultures, but I prefer them just plain, with no dips or sides. They are a little tart & delicious when they are not ripe, which is how I like it. The Mexican Guava beverage (Agua  Fresca)  is refreshing drink, one should try. Guavas have a high level of pectin & are great for making preserves, jams, marmalade's & toffees. Oh... what I wouldn't do for those delicious & chewy guava toffees right now, sigh !!
           
          For this week's post I decided to do one of Chef Jacob's recipe that I had written down in my dairy.  I was so shocked & saddened to the hear the news of his demise at such an early age, last year. He had become a part of so many homes, by being the host of a variety of cookery shows on television. The name of this dish intrigued me, and i made a note to myself  to try this one, the next time i get my hands on some yummy Guavas. I chose, just ripe Apple Guavas (which has a white flesh) so they don't get mushy & disintegrate while cooking. Make sure you remove the seed portion of the fruit, unless you have strong teeth & enjoy eating the seeds as well.


Koyya Pazham Puli Kuzhambu / Guava in Tamarind Gravy



Ingredients:

2 cups seeded & cubed ripe guavas (2 medium Guavas)
3/4 cup peeled small/pearl onions
1/4 cup peeled garlic
1 Tsp chopped ginger
2 tomatoes chopped
1 Tsp Chilli powder
Salt - To taste
4 Tsp Coriander powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
Tamarind pulp - 1 Tbsp
1/2 cup Thick Coconut milk
Sesame oil - 2 Tbsp
1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp Urad dal
A sprig of curry leaves
1 Tbsp chopped Coriander leaves

Dry roast & powder the following:
1 Tsp Sesame seeds/Ellu
1 Tsp Saunf/Fennel seeds




  • Using 1 Tbsp of oil, saute the cubed Guava until it's lightly browned. Remove from oil & set aside.
  • Add remaining oil & fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, next add curry leaves, peeled garlic & saute.
  • After a few minutes add the pearl onions & chopped ginger & saute more.
  • Next add the tomatoes, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt - cook until the tomatoes get mushy.
  • Add the tamarind pulp, required amount of water, Sesame+Fennel powder; stir, cover & simmer for few minutes.
  • Once you get a nice aroma & the consistency of the gravy has thickened add the Guava cubes, coconut milk, simmer for a few more minutes, add chopped coriander leaves & turn off the heat.
  • Serve hot with rice or your favorite entree.

Sending this to Srivalli's CCChallenge



18 comments:

  1. Very interesting recipe! I love guavas. I have great memories of sitting in the guava tree during summer holidays at my grandparents place and feasting on guavas non-stop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be quite a nostalgia, Vinitha - good old times :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting recipe. I like guavas but never cooked with them and have always eaten them raw,

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting to use guava in savory dish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I used to watch Jacob shows as well, guava curry looks very tempting. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting and yummy curry. Very new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kuzhambhu with guava, totally new recipe. Looks very tempting! ! Bookmarking to try! !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds very interesting and yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow nice recipe I had read 2 times to confirm it was guava nice one...I to love chef jacob recipes,he is a legend he starts coking at any place love his passion for food. nice to see his recipe in ur blog nice of u and proud of u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very shocked to hear the news of his demise & I'm glad I did my first post on his recipe :)

      Delete
  9. I seriously didn't know one could cook guava in so many different ways until few years back. We eat it as simply a fruit. It's amazing how different each cuisine is right..your kuzhambu looks very inviting..I wouldn't have guessed it had this..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting recipe uisng guava. Never thought it can be used in savory preparation. Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting... first time heard that kuzhambu with koyya...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...