How to make Cabbage Masala Poriyal
Continuing with last week's theme (cabbage), here is another spicy accompaniment for your Indian platter; be it with roti or rice. The speciality of this dish is in the ground masala with peppercorns, red chillies, coconut, cumin & coriander. You can substitute the channa dal with toor dal, if you like. Also, the same recipe can be used to make a dry curry or a kootu/wet curry according to your needs. I have tried both varieties & they are both excellent. You can check out other recipes that use cabbage as a main ingredient here. Sharing this delicious recipe with my fellow bloggers at CCC # 43 April Week 1.
Ingredients for 4 servings -
finely cut cabbage - 3 cups
chopped onion - 1 no:
boiled kadalai paruppu/channa dal -1/2 cup
tamarind paste - 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
jaggery - 1 tsp (optional)
oil - 2 tbsp
curry leaves - a sprig
Grind together -
dry red chillies - 2 no:s
fresh/frozen grated coconut - 3 tbps
coriander seeds - 2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
black pepper - 1/2 tsp
water - just enough to grind
Stove top method -
- Cook cabbage separately in just enough water or steam till soft.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, onion & fry till golden.
- Now add the ground paste & cook until the raw smell disappears.
- Add salt, jaggery, tamarind paste, boiled channa dal and cooked cabbage.
- Sprinkle water, is needed & let simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with roti or rice.
- You can make this recipe as a curry/porial or as a kootu/gravy. For kootu, cook the cabbage & dal very soft & increase the quantity of water.